Tuesday 3 February 2009

Fighting Back.

We became a martial arts family about 6 years ago when hubby and the boys took up Jujitsu. Unfortunately it became a bit like living with Kato from pink panther with hubby jumping out from behind doors or sneaking up behind me to put me in locks or practice throwing techniques. I decided 18 months ago it was time to fight back! However, I didn't fancy jujitsu - all that grappling and rolling around. I reckon if an attacker got me down on the ground I'd be dead meat. I needed a martial art that would allow me to stay on my feet and not get in too close and personal with my attacker - karate seemed the perfect choice with its kicks, strikes, blocks, sweeps and running away! I managed to find a club which had it's dojo conveniently located in my sons' school. However, the men in my life couldn't bare the idea of me getting good at something they couldn't do and signed up with me! My youngest dropped out at red belt but the rest of us have continued on and now sport a rather fetching purple belt (4th kyu).

7 comments:

Kris said...

Haha! Sue, Great story! Looking forward to watching your progress :o)

Kris

BBat50 said...

Sue, We're also a karate family. I think I saw your blog at the outset but haven't seen it for awhile. Keep it up. My school is a blended school with a kenpo base, our bugo is kick boxing, and we do a mix of krav mega and kenpo self defense. Our kata are a mix of kenpo and XMA. And sometimes they integrate in some jitsu. I feel a little out of place in jitus practice. Like you said, it feels weird to be rolling around.

Sue C said...

Hi John, nice to hear from you again. We're still a martial arts family and we've now added kobudo into the mix! My husband and son's have switched jujitsu schools and now train in a combined jujitsu/kobudo school, which I've also joined (but just for the kobudo). I still end up joining in with the break fall practice at the beginning of the class though! I think I'm finally starting to get used to throwing myself around a bit more.

By the way, your new parenting blog looks like it's going to be interesting - I'll keep popping by to read it.

Frank said...

Sue, my daughter and I began studying Isshinryu in January 2010, as something that she and I could do together, and now my wife is taking an interest. :-) I'm enjoying your blog.

-Frank

Sue C said...

Hi Frank, thanks for reading my blog. Your wife will join when she's fed up being thrown around and locked up! Your daughter's the ideal age to start a martial art in my opinion. It's a great activity for families to share - glad you're enjoying your training.

karateemptyhand said...

Kids inspire us to do a great many things.

Amazing how many of our generation in introduce to Karate by our kids.

That is how my brother-in-law got going and he got me into it as well. Now I just have to wait for my kids to grow up so they can join (3&1)

Justinus

Sue C said...

karateemptyhand, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since I wrote this post but we still train together as a family. In fact my younger son rejoined us about 1 year ago and is now a green belt, the rest of us are now black belts. I hope your kids eventually join you once they are old enough it really is a great family activity. Thanks for commenting...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails