Thursday 11 June 2009

To Fight or not to Fight?

My karate club is holding it's first 'in house' kumite competition on July 4th. Sensei is clearly hoping for a good turn out for this. So should I enter?

I have shied away from kumite competitions so far. Why? Well, because I find it difficult to do, I'm worried I'll make a complete hash of it and I'm a bit of a wimp when I get hurt (see my last post!). But this is not the budo spirit is it? Maybe I should see it as an opportunity to face my weaknesses and overcome my reticence.

Sensei has certainly been training us up for this competition. We've been having mini kumite competitions at the end of each class. He uses this opportunity to teach us the rules, advise us on our technique and give us experience on what a competition feels like. This has helped. I do feel a bit more confident about sparring. I even quite enjoy it now.

So will I enter? Yeah, course I will........ bring it on Sensei!


Bookmark and Share

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.

2 comments:

Littlefair said...

I still always get nervous when fighting- even in classes. It's just some sort of anxiety that rises. I must admit though that practising it and feeling this adrenaline rush is a great way of mastering it.

Go sue!

:-)

Sue C said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't back out now - not now I've said I'll do it on my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails